Friday, June 20, 2008

A Step Up

You know, things happen when you least expect them to.
I work at a company I was recruited to by the former sales manager at my old job.
When he first came here, he pushed me hard to follow, but I resisted, because I wasn't sure if this was going to be a good move or not, even though, I hated my old job.
Still security says alot.
Well, last October, that security fell apart, so I made the move.

Now, I started out in sales, but was moved in the graphic design department, which meant a big pay cut, but a steady check. Sales is so up and down it's sunny one week and raining the next.
Anyhow, I was promised, after some departmental changes that I would take over as the department head, but right when that was gonna happen, they hired someone for the job that I learned alot from, but couldn't personally stand.

This morning, my phone rang, and it was the aforementioned manager, calling to tell me that he quit and is starting his own thing and wants me there.
At first, I said that I was loyal to him, and upon coming to work, it seemed that was a good choice, since this place was in an uproar. Seems like a few people are leaving with him, including my department head, finally fulfilling a many month's long wish that he would quit.

Well, the owner of this company called from the Moline office today and we spoke for about 30 minutes and I was reassured that I would be the new department head, no matter who comes in the door and that we would talk next week about a considerable raise.
Considerable being my word, because I have a number in mind that I need as bad as he needs an experienced manager to run this department, but from the call, I don't think that will be a problem.

Lesson learned: Security is a good thing, but loyalty, especially in the hard times , which has been questioned by a few people, usually pays off in the end alot better.

Or, not biting the hand that feeds you can result in some pretty good feed!

8 comments:

My Flock Rocks! said...

Congratulations! Ahhh...good things come to those who wait!

Jimi said...

Good for you and congrats!

ontheseniorside said...

Hip--- Great news !

HipKat said...

Thanks all!!

I'm pretty happy that this is happening. And after talking to my boss today, I feel like he and I will have no problem coming to a settlement that will help me financially and be worth the investment for him!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Things just keep getting better for you. I sure hope it all works out just the way you want it to Hip.

HipKat said...

Thanks Ch Yah. You're a great friend!

Anonymous said...

Fuck yeah! Congrats, man!!

Anonymous said...

No idea you had this secret blog. Maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Congrats on the upward move, jobwise.