Saturday, July 5, 2008

Wow, Peoria. Wow!

I'm not young. I've been going to Fireworks displays for most of the last 43 years I've been here.
And after while, they just become something to do on the 4th.
When I was a kid, we'd always go to Bassett Park, near where I grew up. It was a whole day's event, running around, eating, finding your friends and the Buffalo Philharmonic would play each year, and the fireworks were pretty damn good.

I've seen them in alot of places and two years ago, I saw them here in Peoria for the first time. I thought then, watching from a mile away that they were pretty spectacular.
Last year, we watched from the 6th floor of the hotel at the Par-A-Dice and that pretty much sucked. It's far away, on hard angle, and you're watching through a window.

Well, last night was the best ever. My friend Lynn, who's been my rock the last few weeks, once again, forced me at gunpoint to go with her.
We started the night with dinner at Jim's Steakhouse. Fine dining, fine food, fine company.
Then we walked down to the river to see if we could find a good spot to watch and check out the festivities, and hopefully, find a drink!

As we walked along the river, we found an empty space, occupied by two empty chairs so we pulled up to the wall, looked down at the water, then out to realize we were right there, at the very spot where the barge would be firing them off.

Being so close, I was almost a little nervous, but anxious too see the show from that vantage point.

Unbelievable, is all I can say. They were so in your face and vivid and loud and it was just mind blowing. So many thing I never realized before, like for instance, the showers of light happening just 20 feet above the launchpad. Or what it's like to see the multiples of color explode right in your face, almost causing you to duck a few times.

The only negative was getting yelled at an hour after we arrived by the mother of the two kids who had abandoned those chairs. When I tried to explain that the fireworks happened up, not out, and they'd still be able to see just fine, I found out, I'm not a gentleman after all, or so I was told! Wow!! Newsflash! Call the press. HipKat is not a gentleman!

Peoria, I'm the worst offender at dis'ing you and exemplifying the benefits of where I came from, but maybe it's time to spend less time looking back and more time looking around, because you really impressed the hell out of me last night.
And standing next to a young soldier, just returned from tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, his beautiful wife and their gorgeous 6 month old daughter (Brock, Brittany and Bailey!), I never felt more proud.

Thank you, Peoria!!!

6 comments:

Ramble On said...

Peoria is not so bad. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Kevin Lowe said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I heard that this year's display was particularly impressive. And you had prime seats, too!

Perhaps I'll convince myself to make it next year.

Anonymous said...

Gunpoint?? OKAY! It's your story, tell it anyway you want to:)
Is your arm better yet? From all the twisting I had to do to make you order the drinks and mushrooms, and to eat MY cake.
It was a great time, so glad to have shared it with you.

HipKat said...

I'm sure it's just one of many great times to come!
I love being your friend!

Jennifer said...

HK,
We really do have great fireworks here.
I'm glad to hear you sounding in better spirits. I always read your blog, but can never think of a comment that seems "good enough" to post; your situation is so difficult that it seems like no comment will really help. So sorry that I've been a lurker!
Jennifer

HipKat said...

Thanks Jennifer. And thanks to my new friends that have gone above and beyond to keep my spirits up by pointing out the the positives above the dwelling on the negatives.